When Schärer was to retire on a pension, he wanted to buy Sund farm. His wish was declined, but instead he buys Ytternesset from the three owners of Sund, Kuløy, Sakshaug and Bragstad. The price he had to pay was 3700,- NOK. Ytternesset was a smallholding belonging to Sund. While cleaning up Strømnes, we found this sales contract. Schärer is probably committing himself into working for Jonetta because of the conditions written in the agreement between Jonetta and her brother-in-law Lorns. Both Lorns and Beret Martha lived on Ytternesset until they passed away.
Schärer renames it Strømnes and puts up a new farmhouse, barn and outhouse, with the help of a Swiss architect. There are several Swiss engineering details to the house. It’s built on a framework, so is the outhouse. The lumber in the barn shows signs of once being a part of another building. In addition to the house and the outhouse, there was also built a storehouse and a hen’s house. The hen’s house was placed on the burial mound, but was later turned into a joiner’s workshop. At one point there also stood a giant greenhouse in the apple garden.
In front of and behind Snekkarstu, there was a cabbage-production going on in the greenhouse benches around 1920-1930. Crates were filled up with layers of horse droppings and straw. On the top of the crates, there was something that looked like a window which had small openings. The hotbed mix developed heat, it lay protected against the weather. The openings were pushed open to give it fresh air.
In Snekkarstu, many arts of crafting were used, such as joinery, making of saddles, making of shoes, repairing of fishing-equipment, glassmaking and engineering. A wire from the outhouse gave enough power to support a small engine and a light in Snekkarstu. From the engine there were put up long straps to lots of different machines that were put up on the walls in Snekkarstu. One strap for each machine, and so one could switch to each of the machines by just changing the strap in the engine.
At the top of the burial mound, there is a small flattened area. At one point – for example during the war – a summerhouse stood there. It was around 6 square meters. The framework was made of tree and Hops closely attached to each other. The roof was made of greenhouse-plates. There were benches standing outside each of the four walls. During World War 2, English soldiers hid weapons in the summerhouse.
A dung pit was built later as an addition on the dung pit, facing south. A toilet was also built here. A second storage room was built upon the eastern wall of the outhouse, facing the burial Mound.